Voting

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Girl Effect: What can girls actually do?


After I watched the video, I was really interested with the Girl Effect. I think the video is really creative and absorbs a lot of watchers into it. I think it is a good way of promoting, "The Girl Effect".

What do I think about the 'Girl Effect'?
Well, I was really shocked that girls my age have to face poverty and at the age of 14, they get pregnant and start to have their own family, while normal 14 year olds go to school and just go shopping, and hang out with friends. I really can't imagine myself in that situation. And since the girl is just 14 years old, she can't get a decent job and it will be hard to live alone, but with a family? That's just way too much for a 14 year old.

Could this program work?
It could and it could not. Since there are 50 million girls in this situation, it would not be easy. And it's going to take a long time. So if a lot of people get into this action, it could work someday, but not today. So it's up for people to decide. Let's make it happen though.

What obstacles would the girls have to overcome?
There are going to be a lot of obstacles. An example would be; having to live a life on their own in extreme poverty, and they would have no help, no education that a normal 14 year old girl would need.

How would they get the help they need?
I am not really sure. But if people just become more aware of this cause and become more alert of it, then the program could get bigger and bigger and the girls might get the help they need.

Why are girls undervalued in society?
Because some people think girls are supposed to cook, do laundry, and take care of the kids and when they get older, they can have their own kids and so on and so forth. And maybe men think that men only have power and girls can't do a lot of things to take care of other people or things. That happened a lot in the old times, but it is also happening now.

What needs to change?
What needs to change is that people need to appreciate girls more then usual. Because when girls have their own families when they become an adult, mainly the girl/women's job is just to cook and clean around the house. And more people need to acknowledge that.


No comments:

Post a Comment